Before and After Care
Chemical Peel Treatment Instructions
Before Chemical Peel Treatment:
- Avoid tanning and direct sun exposure for 2 weeks prior to each treatment.
- Apply a sunscreen with SPF 30 or greater every day for the duration of treatments.
- Apply topical products as instructed prior to treatment to prepare the skin.
- Discontinue use of any products containing high strength alpha hydroxyl acids (such as glycolic and lactic acids) and prescription retinoids (such as Retin-A, Differin, and Renova) 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Consult with your personal physician before starting treatment if any skin lesions in the treatment areas have changed, itched, or bled. Tell us if you get cold sores from peels.
- Treatment areas must be free of any open sores, lesions, or skin infections.
- If receiving chemical peels, only one chemical peel may be performed in a 2-3-week period.
After Chemical Peel Treatment:
- Treated areas may feel sensitive, tight, or dry and may appear pink, red, and slightly swollen for 3-5 days.
- Wash treated area with mild cleanser at _____________am/pm. Dry thoroughly by patting skin with towel or blow drying on cool setting.
- Discomfort is rare, and may be alleviated with an over-the-counter pain reliever such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or with a cool compress for 15 minutes a few times per day.
- After chemical peel procedure, skin may peel to varying degrees (mild, hardly visible, or heavy continuous peeling) depending on the treatment received and the condition of the skin prior to treatment. Peeling may last up to 2 weeks.
- Avoid becoming overheated, perspiring excessively, using hot tubs, steam rooms, saunas, or excessively hot showers in the first few days after treatment, as this can cause blistering and increase the risk of complications.
- Avoid activities that cause facial flushing on the day of treatment including consuming alcohol, hot tub or sauna use, exercising, hot wax, and tanning. Avoid extreme cold like skiing or hiking outdoors.
- Apply any post procedure topical products as instructed. Regular home skin care products may be resumed 1-2 weeks after treatment or as instructed. No alpha hydroxyl and retinoic acids until finished with peel series. Moisturizer may be applied twice a day or more frequently as needed for hydration and to decrease the appearance of flaking.
- During the healing process, avoid picking, scrubbing, exfoliating, or abrading sensitive or peeling skin as this may result in irritation and increase the risk of pigmentation changes and scarring. Sanitized scissors may be used to trim sloughing skin as needed.
- It is preferable to apply makeup the day following treatment. Mineral makeup can be applied after the peel is thoroughly dried. No sooner than hours after treatment if desired.
- Avoid direct sun exposure and tanning bed use for 2-4 weeks after treatment
- Avoid hot tubs, swimming, and other water activities for 2 weeks.
- Avoid electrolysis, facial waxing, or the use of depilatories for at least 2 weeks after treatment.
PLEASE CONTACT LIVING WELL INSTITUTE WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS.